National Curriculum Tests (SATs) at Key Stage 1
KS1 Maths SATs
The KS1 Maths SATs is made up of two papers:
• Paper 1 is an arithmetic test which should take around 15 minutes. It will consist of 25 marks.
• Paper 2 involves reasoning, problem solving and mathematical fluency. This paper has 35 marks available and will last for approximately 35 minutes. It will contain a variety of question types including multiple choice, matching and method explanations.
KS1 SPaG SATs
• Paper 1 is a 20 word spelling test worth 20 marks which should take roughly 15 minutes
• Paper 2 is a punctuation, grammar and vocabulary test. It comes in two sections of around 10 minutes each, and the paper is worth 20 marks.
KS1 Reading SATs
• Paper 1 consists of a variety of texts totalling 400 to 700 words with questions dotted throughout.
• Paper 2 consists of a reading booklet containing different passages. These will total 800 to 1100 words.
Each paper for the KS1 Reading SATs is worth 50% of the available marks and should take up to 30 minutes. The texts covered in the tests cover a wide range of fiction, non-fiction and poetry. Pupils will face a variety of questions including multiple choice, matching, and open-ended answers.